• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Super,Proxima,Major or what???

P

phil

hi,
we are looking to replace our 2wd 5320 with a similar powered 4wd tractor with a decent loader. What should i buy? I am thinking about a low houred,second hand Super. Renze, in your honest opinion, should i buy one or look at another make or even hold out and buy a brand new Proxima (remember finances are tight!) What are the things to look out for. Remember this tractor will be a comitted loader tractor - is the super 6341 or 5341 up to it? Would you recommend another brand? (!) What are the Super options i.e. tranny etc. Will the Proxima bring any considerable benefit at a good price? In short Renze, i'm asking you because i don't know much about tractors. Please give me your honest opinion, not just the Zenmaster's views!! I like the look of the Super because its simple while comfortable, compact and the design is proven. What about depreciation on the Supers/ new Majors? What are your views Renze or anyone else out there?

TIA

Phil (England)

Hmm... For a dedicated loader tractor i would prefer a synchro shuttle if i had the choice... i havent ever used one (on a Zetor ) but i think with this type of use, it is worth it. Maybe you can find a second hand Super with the optional shuttle reverser ??
..But i dont think it's essential, more a luxury...;)

The Major is ending in countries that require TIER or Euro 2 emission legislation. Over here, dealers have bought some Majors in December, to have them in stock as new ones arent allowed anymore, as they dont comply to Euro 2.:(

The Super has better wet disk brakes than the Major (dry disks) a better cab, and a side mounted gear lever, that is much more comfortable than the mid mounted stick on the 5320 i think...
Personally i prefer the dashboard mounted lever on the mid 70's 7 series over the later mid mounted stick on our 5245 and your 5320.

The Proxima has an Euro 2 compliant engine, based on the bigger Forterra tractors. It is running much smoother than the Super engines, as they have counterbalance axles.
The shuttle reverser version has six main gears instead of five, 12 F/12R. This means that the big gap in speed, between 4 and 5, is filled which makes a big difference in road transport with heavy trailers.

For front loader use, the Zetors (Major, Super, Proxima) have a strong Carraro front axle, which is used by a dozen other tractor manufacturers. The heavy cast iron chassis is also an advantage.

If you dont need the low noise level, lower fuel consumption and higher lift force, you could buy a new or second hand Super.

If you look at the other manufacturers, you can get license built MF and Korean stuff, but i think that's a step back.
In the economy market, i think only the New Holland TD-D series is 1500 Euro cheaper than the Zetor (comparing 85 hp models)
The Zetor Proxima is good value for money, and the Korean manufacturers, New Holland and Same, cannot provide a comparable chassis in this class.

To be short, most econo tractors that can match the price of the Zetor, are too light of build for loader (ab)use....;)

About deprecation, i think you have seen the upgoing line (tech and equipment) in Major, Super, Proxima models. For short term resale value, the Proxima, especially the 12/12 transmission, will hold most of its value in the first 5 years, as no second hand Proximas are available yet...

For long term resale value, quite often a 20 year old, low houred Zetor (5011 or 6011) is sold to the Baltic countries, for 40 to 50% of the price it was sold when new.... ;)

Hey phil,

I'm not sure if I'd buy a new model that quick after release,no matter who makes it!! If going Zetor I'd look for a Super,and a late model with the Forterra cab on it......

What are the Valtra A-series priced like in Heartbeat Country?

Hey I forgot all about Valtra... Valtra is not known as "economy brand" but they also build a dependable, solid low-budget tractor.

I havent seen an A series Valtra yet, but the local Valtra dealer has some M 100 series around.

If there is a Valtra dealer, i think your choice would be between a Zetor or a Valtra.

not really thinking about a Proxima woody, just thinking about all options really. I think i will look for a low houred, second hand Super.
Valtra A series: proberbly out of our current price range but admittadly you do get a lot more tractor for the price. But it is all things that we don't need. Anyway, the dealer is too far away for my liking and i would rather stick with our Zetor /Landini dealer, due to close proximity,reputation, loyalty etc
I like the look of the Super Renze, but you haven't answered my question about things to look out for/ potential problems with this range.
I don't want a Major really, there would be no gainon the 5320.
I do think Zetor have got it right with the Super series. The tractor you get for the price is unbeatable by any other ecno make. The technology is simple, but by no means basic, compared with a Belarus for example.
While we are on the subject, what's the best loader to put on it, bearing in mind price, functions, weight etc...

TIA

Phil (England, or as woody calls it 'heatbeat country')

Ah...

Well, as far as i know, all problems with the 2 series, (master cylinders, water pumps, gear selector mechanism, and some piston rings on the early ones) early major series ( dry disk brakes, better than the dry DRUM brakes but still not 100%) are solved in the Super series.

The piston ring and master cylinders are replaced by improved ones, in the mid 80's. The Super has a different gear selector, as it is a side mounted instead of mid mounted. The Major and Super series have better water pumps.
The super has better (good quality German built, Knott) wet disk brakes.

I think we can say that the Super series is free of major faults to look out for. :)

Now I have used my second hand Super 6341 from 1998 for about one year. There are no big problems, the clutch master cylinder I had to replace for a few months ago and when I changed the oil in the gearbox I also changed the rubber hose on the suction line to the hydraulic pump. The rubber was very hard and I could see a small leak on it, so I did it at the same time.
It is a very good tractor for me, the brakes are very good because my tractor have the Carraro front axle with brakes. Here in Finland 6341 and 7341 was delivered with brakes in front axle.
But as Renze says, there are a big step between 4 and 5 gear, but after have been using it, you learn to handle the problem.

well guys i have just found the perfect tractor today, on my doorstep!!!:):):) Zetor 5341 4wd with loader, 3 years old, done 1000 hours. And its just a fewmiles down the road at my local dealers!
I have yet to talk prices, but this machine sounds just about perfect. I am going for a look at it tomorrow and will let you know sometime how i get on

Phil (England)

well guys, the tractor is a good machine. Lots of power in a compact package and great gearing for our operation. Shuttle would save alot of time also .

So Renze, what is it worth?

Zetor 5341, 4wd, shuttle, 30k, fairly decent tyres, 3000 hours, 3 years old.

What's its value????

Cheers,
Phil (England)

I dont have any idea about a price of such a young tractor that is barely broken in... :love: :)
No seriously, i cant tell you a realistic price estimation...

By the way, did Valtra increase its prices from M100 series to A series ?? for a basic A95 you can also buy a Forterra !!
I thought the M100 series were just a little more expensive than a Zetor ... ???

Here are two examples of prices in Finland:
7341 (80 hp) with frontloader 2600 hours from 1998 26000 Euros include tax.
4341 WITHOUT frontloader 2700 hours from 1998 18500 Euros including tax.
This is the price from the list from two different places, if someone are going to the shop without an old tractor and want to buy it directly, I think it is possible to discuss the price.
My price for 6341 from 1998 with 740 hours was 19500 incl. tax for one and half year ago, but I had the old 6245 from 87 wich I sold to the dealer for about 6800 E.
We dont have so many newer Zetors in Finland because we have problems with the importer of those very good tractors.
Spareparts are not any problems.
Maybe you get any idea of this prices.

Zetor 5341, 4wd, shuttle, 30k, fairly decent tyres, 3000 hours, 3 years old. What's its value????
Phil,

My thoughts........

Based on these list prices inc VAT for a Super 5341 75HP:
29,900 $37,375 20,033
I would reckon the dealer would be asking 15K sterling for it and you would buy it for 13K in a straight deal.

What do you think?

[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

Phil, why would i keep a track on prices if i will never be buying one of that age ?? Our youngest tractor was 14 years old when bought...

Is it something bad, to admit that i dont know ?? At least i'm honest !! ;)

Try
www.fastline.com
for some used pricing.
Good words on the Supers. I just bought a new 4341.1SR with 102 loader & several attachments. The service/parts manuals were $40. I paid about $160 for parts/service books on a JD 455 lawntractor 2 years ago! The cab is quiet enough to take cell phone calls without shutting the engine down. Other tractors JD A & Allis Chalmers 615 TLB always have to shut down.

How do I post pictures here?

Barry,

there are some people, including me, working on a photo upload script implementation for this forum.
The other image galleries on this site dont work at the moment.
I am sorting it out, but as allways, time is the problem, as spring field work is on.

You can post it at www.farmphoto.com and then paste a link in your forum posting here.

hey phil,

Sounds like a good one!! Over here with 1000 hours on it that tractor would be worth in the $27,500-30,000 CDN range I'd say.

Hey Doc,

Not being current on used tractor prices,especially Zetors is a cop-out for you. I'm ashamed of you for that comment!!

Not sure what is happening with Valtra prices in the Steernbos,but over here I can buy a fully loaded A95 for about $5,000 cheaper than the smallest Forterra.

Woodbeef,

8641 is 36.500 over here.
A95 is 36.047

Phil: Someone started calling me Doc, and otherw followed. I cant help it...;)

Woodbeef
Is that in Canadian funds or US dollars?
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back