• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Newbie seeks tractor

richard_harrison

Level 2
First name
rich36
Good afternoon,
I've been asking about a couple of other forums over the last week for advice on buying a small tractor, big enough to;
mow harrow or top, our horses paddock (10 acres)

budget for tractor of around 1200 quid
with maybe three hundred? for a mower

not sure how much for a set of chains though.

Anyone suggest where i might look beyond
Farmers guardian
Tractor & FT
E-bay.

I used a Zetor for carting Once about Ten years ago beyond that I don't know squat on them:sneaky:

Any buying advice gratefully received,
I'm asking same question over on the DB tractor club site as well who have been very helpful

10 acres is 4 hectare ?
Are you just using a pasture topper, pasture drag and some carting around ? Then a 3011 would be good enough.
If you want to plough, level, mow, rake, spread manure, move construction materials on 3pt mounted forklift forks, you'd be better off with a 4712.

When using a loader, your shoulders arent going to forgive you if you dont buy powersteering !!! that will be a 5711 or bigger. Kinda out of your budget though, but dont think you'll enjoy the virtues of a front loader, on a 3011 or any other tractor without powersteering !

when i bought my manure spreader i loaded it the first 2 years with a Deutz D50 with featherweight front end. The Ford Transit sized steering balls are all worn, and the steering gears are worn too. My shoulders would be worn too, if i wasnt a young lad ;)
Last 3 or 4 years i have a loader on my fathers 5245 with 4wd and power steering: the 3.5 ton weight makes it a real beast, and with my home built subframe, its as strong as a wheel loader.
I'll never own a front loader tractor without powersteering again...

Renze hi,

Right let me revise my plans then,
tasks;
Chain harrow
mower
roller

forget the loader, thats a luxury item really

its a horses paddock so no plough

whats the smallest machine I can look for that will carry a mower?

My 3011 can carry a 2 meter Krone disk mower, without conditioner.
I do have some problems at high speed mowing, when the mower hits some mole heaps, it pulls the tractor aside.
A 3011 will work great with a 1.65 or 1.85 meter drum mower, which are cheap to find: the 1.35 models are much more sought after for hobby farmers and MF 35's and Fordson Dexta's, so there is a "low spot" in mower resale value, from 1.65 to 2 meter, at 2.40 they are beginning to cost more.

But if you just use a pasture topper which aligns behind the tractor, a 3011 will have plenty of power, i use mine with my neighbours 2.75 meter pasture topper. The tractor does it with ease, when the 3011 starts to grunt, you smell burning topper V-belts...

My brothers 2011 will also carry that topper ( just barely) but i think the 2 cylinder models were never sold in the UK ??

The 3011 is up to all tasks you describe. and if you want to load muck, use a rear end loader or a small 3pt backhoe. Front loaders will ruin tractors of this size.

A 3011 will do anything you want. Its comparable to a Dexta or MF 35, only they are more reliable, fuel efficient and start better because they are direct injection, they have 10 instead of 6 gears, better hydraulics and parts are probably cheaper.

Thank you, I'm going off the idea a loader on a couple of reasons.

And yes a topper is really what I need, not a mower!

Any thoughts on value for the smaller tractors, and what specifically to avoid

You can pick up a 3011 in reasonable state, from 1000 Euro.
1200 pound would be... like 1800 Euro ? For that money you can buy a fine, mechanically touched up 3011 with (like) new paint, over here. There are plenty of them around, because they arent sought after for the export to Czechia and Poland like the Crystals are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back