• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Inverter Welding with a Generator

ixer0

Level 2
First name
ixer0
Hi

We're back onto inverter welders again !!
I have purchased a 150 A inverter welder. My question is, am I right in thinking that I must not use it with a 2.3Kva (Max)generator. I,m not sure if the genny is regulated or not. It was not an expensive generator. (not as expensive as the inverter)

Any help much appreciated

Mike

Is your concern that the power consumption of your inverter welder is too near the power output of the generator or that you are worried about the "chopping" action of the switching power supply i.e. the IGBT switching action, exceeding rating of capacitors, ripple currents etc?

Like everything, you get what you pay for and the output of the generator may have spikes in it that may cause problems for the inverter.

I'd stick on my headphones or ear muffs (to drown out squealing) and give it a go.

Hi Tom.

I was unsure of whether when striking the arc the generator was powerful enough and which machine would be overstretched. The generator has a cut-out and so does the inverter.

The welder runs silent when in use apart from the cooling fan hum. It's not a squeeler!!

Regards

Mike

From your inverter manual should find an information if your inverter is possible to use with generator power.

All new professional inverters mainly are. But there is another think you must note!! There is given minimum power requirement for generator. That value really is min and you should follow it, otherwise your welder will be damaged maybe :(

If those are ok it will be a pleasure to weld with generator and inverter. It is very usefull combination too at places where is no electricity.

Forgot to say...

Inverter does not squees.... least when stick welding!! When those are equipped for TIG welding... it is another story.

I was welding years ago stainless steel preussure tubes for chemical industry. We had Kemppi TIG welding system, with adjustable current pulses etch... Its power supply was made with inverter technology. It was squeesing so badly that i was feeling sick every evening ;)

Finally i got opporturnity to change working with ESAB Aristo equipped with TIG system. Oh boys, it was like having a holiday! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back