• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Disc Mower

mullah

Level 2
First name
Mullah
I have a small disc mower (4disc) that i bought second hand and i was told to put gear oil in it at the start of each year which i duly did, it does say Do not overfill where you put in the gear oil but i had no way of telling what level it was at so i filled it until i thought it was safe to use mowing. I am now noticing oil leak ing from the gear casing and i am wondering did i over fill it and busted some seals or something or is that a possibilty.

Usually there is a screw which you can screw out of the casing. You fill the casing up untill oil starts flowing outthis hole.
If the gears are half covered in oil it should be sufficient though.
Have you checked if there isn't an air hole or breather hole thats is clogged. When you are running the mower pressure start to built inside the casing. When it cannot get out because of an obstructed or clogged air hole it usually causes the oil seals to leak.
Hope this helped you in any way.
Greetz John

thanks John ill check for these air holes. what was getting me was the fact that like you say oil would eventually pour out of the casing when you are filling it, so i could not see how i could overfill it as the refil point was half ways down the casing. anyway ill see if there is a blockage somewhere and keep it topped up before each use.

mulla, just joined forum and saw your post,the advice given is correct, but the filler plug is usually about 12-18 inches from end of disc bed, to check oil level you set the outer end of the bed onto a block ,( my 8ft. mower is 14 inches off ground, inside on ground, so that bed is at an angle,) yours will probably be half that.You then fill oil into plug till full, This means that when flat the bed is no more than half full. Hope this helps, tha Ulsterscot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back