• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

9540 PTO Only kicks on with Powershift in Direct Drive

asar2525

Level 2
First name
Asar2525
I have a 9540 that I got back in April that has been wonderful other than some leaks, weeps, and a failed water pump. Now that hay weather is over and fall tillage is done, I'm trying to button up some smaller issues we've been having.

Let me begin by saying the previous owner ran the tractor low on hydraulic fluid. We have the 3 FWD gear, 2 range, 3 powershift transmission which is mostly wonderful. I say mostly because our lowest powershift position (most reduction) does not work. It won't hold the tractor or a load back going downhill, and won't even pull the weight of the tractor up a hill. The middle position works fine, EXCEPT the PTO will absolutely not engage in either of the reduced powershift positions. It doesn't matter if I have the tedder or the baler hooked up, neither will turn. If I move the powershift to direct drive it will engage immediately. We got through all of hay season this way. I'm wondering if the two issues are related? Is there a separate hydraulic pump for the PTO/Powershift that may be partially burned out by the previous owner running it low on fluid? Are there friction discs that may need to be replaced?

Thank you

There definitely is a connection. The same pump runs both. You need to get the various options pressure tested. If the torque multiplier has a leak you wont get the pressure to the pto pack. Check the filters. The pump is bolted onto the front of the filter housing.
Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the response. I was hoping that front pump was what runs the powershift and PTO. I replaced the hydraulic filters (and all other filters) when I got the tractor earlier this year so it is unlikely it is clogged, but I will check. I fear I'm likely looking at replacing the pump (to the tune of about $375).

Asa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back