• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

What can I make from an old...

arctic003

Level 2
First name
Arctic003
Sickle bar mower?

Hi Folks

I have two old sickle bar mowers that I should try to figure out a use for! They are both the sort with the Pitman rod. One of them was left here by the farm's previous owners (I can't think why ;)), and the other one... well... I'm afraid to say that I tried to cut hay with it (I know, I know, what was I thinking of? 69) ).

Both have pretty much exploded the bearing and bearing-cases on the tractor end of the Pitman rod. Still, I have two 3pt hitch frames there as well as pto shaft coupling, and several good wheels and bearings. There must be something useful I can make out of them ??? ?

Thanks!

PS I hope nobody suggests I try to restore them, it was only three years ago that I tried mowing with this type of mower - the memories are still too fresh. Even my welding machine won't go near them any more ;)

Any photos ??

I usually sell the junk to the scrapyard and strip out the beams, bearings and other useful parts. Steel is expensive nowadays, and when your time is free (apart from a few beers after work) it pays to strip out the useful parts instead of buying new steel.

Yes indeed,

steel is expensive but junk steel is no nothing:sneaky: Anybody doesnt pay nothing of it. Only some companies will buy a junk steel in Finland and the price is a worth of fuel when you deliver it to melting.....

Its good that some people will get the junk from your yard for free....

Arctic,

Make some nice frames for post boxes of them! The city peoples who has summer cottage will buy them from you!!!!!!!!! I have been seen some frames made of old mowers..... ;)

Markku, what do you mean about post frames ??

Over here, i have to drive 17 km to the scrap yard in the nearby city. When i take 600 kg behind my Volvo, plus 10 kg of aluminium, copper and stainless (which is worth more) i take about 40 to 50 Euro home. My Volvo Diesel does 14 km on 1 liter of Diesel when i pull a trailer, so for the cost of 2.5 liter of Diesel, i get 40 Euro....

Because China began to use LOADS of steel the last two years, all the prices rose, including scrap.

Hi Folks

No photos, sorry (no film for my camera :( )

Renze, Markku is absolutely right. When we take stuff to the scrapyard here basically we have to pay them!

Buying things from the scrapyard isn't usually cheap either, but I did get 85% of a forage harvester for 50e last summer. Yesterday I finally completed it and used it for the first time, but that's another story :)

Markku, your post-box stand idea is very good, but I was really trying to think of some sort of machine I could make. But then if I sell the post-boxes for money, I could maybe start to save up for some real hay making machines...

All the best

I am still not sure what a post frame is....???

A kind of stand or support for the post box. There are all sorts here, from a simple tubular post to ones made from heavy chain with the links welded together so that the chain looks like it is supporting itself - like the Indian Rope Trick.

I haven't seen one made from a mower bar in this part of the country though...yet :)

Ah, a mail box !!! now that makes sense.. It would certainly look nice !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back