• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Ploughing

mike_horgan

Level 2
First name
Mike Horgan
I have an 8540 and would like to know if would pull a mounted four furrow reversable plough. We have heavy country and usually plough about 12 inches deep. I don't have any experience with these types of ploughs and would be interested to hear from anyone that uses them

Regards Mike

We pulled (and lifted) a 3 furrow reversible with a 5245 on flat land. pulled a 4 furrow one way Huard with a C-385A

I have no idea how steep your hills are, but if a 3 ton tractor pulls 3 furrows, a 4 or 4.5 (with ballast) tractor will pull a 4.

Sorry I've taken so long to acknowledge your reply. I've been out of the country. The 8540 goes very well so I'll look around for a four furrow reversible plough kind regards Mike

Then look for a 3+1 so you can unbolt the 4th share if you have some really steep fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPvSrKBdtw

The 135 in this video has the same wheelbase as an 8540 and with wheel weights and front ballast it plays easy with this 4 furrow. With your 85 horses (you can tune it to 95, its the same engine) you'd have to lower your gear when going up a hill like here in the video, but if you hang some front ballast you'll get the traction.

Ploughed hills with a 9540 and rabe spring relese 4x14" reversable ,9" deep.Weights and front loader required for stabilty. The other problem I had was when the oil heated could not lift plough even o flat land. Had to fit oil cooler and upgrade pump, then no problem. My land is not heavy though !?. 3+1 max, or 3 only. If you do not require a spring release plough then you may handle 4.

The other problem I had was when the oil heated could not lift plough even o flat land.
Sounds like a worn oilpump. With their large clearances they cant cope with hot, thin oil, but the internal leakage is causing even more heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back