• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Automatic reciprocating hydraulic circuit?

Dang, I forgot to add that we used peat for domestic heating when I was a child.
It was harvested manually, in May, and spread out to sun-dry.
Nowadays, we have enough firewood, so peat is not used.
I do have the special spade my dad made, though. :cool:

Dang, I forgot to add that we used peat for domestic heating when I was a child.
It was harvested manually, in May, and spread out to sun-dry.
Nowadays, we have enough firewood, so peat is not used.
I do have the special spade my dad made, though. :cool:

Hi Trond,

The log splitter valve is interesting. From the schematic in the link, this looks to be a fast return cylinder/valve setup.

What type of trees do you grow for firewood?

Do you ever have any problems with the wood "spitting" when being burnt?

What sort of a burner/boiler units do you use?

TomZ
[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

Hi Trond,

The log splitter valve is interesting. From the schematic in the link, this looks to be a fast return cylinder/valve setup.

What type of trees do you grow for firewood?

Do you ever have any problems with the wood "spitting" when being burnt?

What sort of a burner/boiler units do you use?

TomZ

Those spoiled Norwegians living inland, where farms usually have quite some forest on their property, uses mostly birch for firewood. It has a high calorimetric value, and burns cleanly.
But, many other broadleaved trees are used as well.
I`m from a small island on the west coast, however. Pretty much like Shetland, but not THAT windy, so trees grow here, albeit slowly.
We are not as spoiled ;) and uses pretty much everything for firewood. I have much pine on my property, it was planted in the 50s because it grows rather fast.
It does "sputter" when burned, however. But this is really not a problem, as I burn it in a closed wood-burning stove, from traditional Norwegian company Jtul: http://jotulflame.com/3cb.html
http://jotulflame.com/jotulwood.html

When burning pine, the glass gets much dirtier than with broadleaves, but it is not that much of a problem.

As for the valve, it is a fast valve setup for wood-chippers, yes.

Those spoiled Norwegians living inland, where farms usually have quite some forest on their property, uses mostly birch for firewood. It has a high calorimetric value, and burns cleanly.
But, many other broadleaved trees are used as well.
I`m from a small island on the west coast, however. Pretty much like Shetland, but not THAT windy, so trees grow here, albeit slowly.
We are not as spoiled ;) and uses pretty much everything for firewood. I have much pine on my property, it was planted in the 50s because it grows rather fast.
It does "sputter" when burned, however. But this is really not a problem, as I burn it in a closed wood-burning stove, from traditional Norwegian company Jtul: http://jotulflame.com/3cb.html
http://jotulflame.com/jotulwood.html

When burning pine, the glass gets much dirtier than with broadleaves, but it is not that much of a problem.

As for the valve, it is a fast valve setup for wood-chippers, yes.

Hi Trond,

I'm inteterested in the fact that it is mostly birch (bog birch is of Betula species - Betula nana (glandulosa) that is used for firewood. This grows natuarally in the bog.

The forest people in Ireland seem to plant lodgepole pine and sitka spruce but this has not been success in all cases.

The Jtul stoves look good. Made from recycled cast iron as well!!

I am trying to find an industrial unit that could be mounted in a shed with a hopper to auto feed the stove.

TomZ

Hi Trond,

I'm inteterested in the fact that it is mostly birch (bog birch is of Betula species - Betula nana (glandulosa) that is used for firewood. This grows natuarally in the bog.

The forest people in Ireland seem to plant lodgepole pine and sitka spruce but this has not been success in all cases.

The Jtul stoves look good. Made from recycled cast iron as well!!

I am trying to find an industrial unit that could be mounted in a shed with a hopper to auto feed the stove.

TomZ

Hi Trond,

This is a very beautiful place where you live. I didn't see any trees in the photo but did see them in the Haroyburet video.

The birch is proving to be an interesting tree. You can even make alcohol from it ;) ;) See the article on "Birch a selfish but elegant tree" by Dick Warner at http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=96355079457&p=96355x7973x&n=96355079798

I see you have plenty of windpower available.

I am very suprised that few houses have central heating. I thought that this would have been a necessity ???

TomZ

Hi Trond,

This is a very beautiful place where you live. I didn't see any trees in the photo but did see them in the Haroyburet video.

The birch is proving to be an interesting tree. You can even make alcohol from it ;) ;) See the article on "Birch a selfish but elegant tree" by Dick Warner at http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=96355079457&p=96355x7973x&n=96355079798

I see you have plenty of windpower available.

I am very suprised that few houses have central heating. I thought that this would have been a necessity ???

TomZ

All the central heating systems in Holland use water as a medium... In Canada, everything just blew heated air through air tunnels. this was because of the strong winter, if you ran out of oil (no natural gas network as we have in Holland) the water system would freeze and it would burst all over...

In Holland we dont run out of natural gas, because in Slochteren there is a reserve for a few decades. Next to that, it wont happen to be so cold that it would freeze in house !! :D

All the central heating systems in Holland use water as a medium... In Canada, everything just blew heated air through air tunnels. this was because of the strong winter, if you ran out of oil (no natural gas network as we have in Holland) the water system would freeze and it would burst all over...

In Holland we dont run out of natural gas, because in Slochteren there is a reserve for a few decades. Next to that, it wont happen to be so cold that it would freeze in house !! :D

The trees are there, but most of our island is bog. Sitka spruce and longneedle pine was planted in straight lines, about ten metres wide, at the border between adjacent properties.
Up until the fifties, here was almost no trees, and peat was used for domestic heating.
Now, both sitka, longneedle pine and birch is multiplying by itself.

There is a simple reason for central heating being rare in Norway. We are blessed with cheap hydropower. Thus, why build an expensive central heating system in your home when you can have electric panel heaters in every room for a fraction of the cost? Infact, our government used to promote electricity for domestic heating, as it was both cheaper and cleaner than oil.
But as power lines have been erected to connect our grid to Sweden and Denmark, which again are connected to Finland and Germany, and so on, electricity prices have gone up. Big surprise. 69)

The wood-burning stove have long tradtions at the countryside. Both my grandmothers made all their food at such stoves. Imagine how hot the kitchen was in summer, when the stove was lit!

The trees are there, but most of our island is bog. Sitka spruce and longneedle pine was planted in straight lines, about ten metres wide, at the border between adjacent properties.
Up until the fifties, here was almost no trees, and peat was used for domestic heating.
Now, both sitka, longneedle pine and birch is multiplying by itself.

There is a simple reason for central heating being rare in Norway. We are blessed with cheap hydropower. Thus, why build an expensive central heating system in your home when you can have electric panel heaters in every room for a fraction of the cost? Infact, our government used to promote electricity for domestic heating, as it was both cheaper and cleaner than oil.
But as power lines have been erected to connect our grid to Sweden and Denmark, which again are connected to Finland and Germany, and so on, electricity prices have gone up. Big surprise. 69)

The wood-burning stove have long tradtions at the countryside. Both my grandmothers made all their food at such stoves. Imagine how hot the kitchen was in summer, when the stove was lit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back