• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

zetor crystal and perkins engine

P

patr

saw an ad for a zetor crystal tractor and the ad said it had a perkins engine in it. it is an used tractor. Is this correct, and if so what models had the perkins engine in them.

This is not factory fitted. I have seen quite a few of the big 120HP Zetor Crystal's getting a Perkins transplanted into them. A P6? possibly.

What's the use of that ??

Older Perkins engines used more fuel and loads more oil.
and i cant imagine that the old P6 was more quiet than Zetor engines in that era. ???

Renze,

...AAhh!

Where I live, farmers consider a Perkins engine to be the GOD of engines!!! Never mind that the Zetor engine was technically more advanced e.g. Direct injection vs indirect in Perkins and that the fuel consumption was better as a result when comparing apples to apples.

Morale: fit a Perkins and all your troubles will go away"!

;) Might be something to do with those dodgy seals Zetor fitted;)

Yeah !!! sure, Zetor seals are of no compare to Perkins head gaskets and other sources of oil leaks on older Perkins !!! ;);););)

Could it also be that Perkins is viewed as more of a mainline engine manufacturer? Hence the idea that more parts available,easier to get repaired,and more dependable of a powerplant.

In the early nineties fitting perkins engines to crystals was often done in here in the South. In fact around us there was one silage contractor with a fleet of these modified machines. The motivation for this at the time I think was a demand for more power with also a small hint of respect for the perkins as Tom pointed out. Engineering shops advertised "Crystal conversion plates" and the success of the conversion depended on the quality of these. I don't know of any converted 8011's now. Drivers tended to take full advantage of the extra power (and speed in a commercial unit) to the detriment of the rest of the tractor.

Did the Perkins run at higher revs or did they change the gearbox main gear too ?? I know you can reach 53 km/h at standard revs by modifying one pair of gears in the front part of the box, which speeds up all 16 gears.

What top speed ??

We had a Zetor 2011 in for a respray some years ago.. the governor didn't stop it at 2200 rpm, it ran over 3500 rpm and went at a dangerous 65 km/h on the road.... you would piss in your pants at this speed and the 40 year old steering system....

HI,
IHAVE SEEN ZETOR CRYSTALS FITTED WITH PERKINS ENGINES
THEY WERE FITTED WITH THE 6.354 SERIES FROM 105hp TO 145hp THEY WERE ALSO FITTED WITH THE 1006 T PHASER ENGINE RUNNING AT 160 hp THE RESON THIS CONVERSION WAS CARRIED OUT WAS BECAUSE THE TRCTOR WAS THE SAME LENGHT AS THE 4 cyl WHEN COMPLETED ,THE PERKINS WAS READLY AVAILABLE FROM TRUCKS & IHAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS CONVERSION WAS A DESIGNED BY ZETOR BUT NEVER FITTED BUT I AM NOT SURE

REGARDS M.D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back