• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Water in tires

Yes, but dont use it in corners: My father used to have a Deutz D15, a one cylinder 15 hp, in the late sixties. His halfaxles snapped two times when he forgot to disengage the diff lock in a corner... Well i dont see the 70mm halfaxles break so soon on the 5245...;)

All the tyre co`s around he have the equipment to fill wheels with water . You must put something in to stop them freezing .

It makes a big difference for traction on a loader tractor

i fill the rear tyres of our loader tractor with the power washer,jack the back of the tractor up and unscrew the valve then take nozzle off power washer and direct into the tube.you have to take it out every few minutes to let the air escape its no big deal to do.

What do you put in to stop em freezing ?

[/ -- End of Quote -- ]

nothing,the tractor is in a shed at night and it was minus 15c this year and they never froze.you only fill 3/4 with water so if they did freeze there is room to expand.
[/ -- End of Quote -- ]

i would not risk it

when i used a 2wd crystal with front loader on silage clamps i used a cut down metal crop sprayer tank with about 75 gallons of rubble and concrete, i added the quick hitch off a massey reversable plough to make hitching up easier, it also moved the weight a bit further back as well.
one time i was on a clamp of long chop stuff from a forage wagon when the farmers son turned up with a borrowed 4wd muir hill to do a bit of rolling... he had more wheel spin getting up on top than i did.... funny thing was we actually won a cup for the quality of the silage from the innoculant suppliers... quite suprised all the experts who said you had to have sort precision chop to make good silage... the fahr forage wagon with a 55hp leyland on the front only chopped to about 4 inches.

when i used a 2wd crystal with front loader on silage clamps i used a cut down metal crop sprayer tank with about 75 gallons of rubble and concrete, i added the quick hitch off a massey reversable plough to make hitching up easier, it also moved the weight a bit further back as well.
one time i was on a clamp of long chop stuff from a forage wagon when the farmers son turned up with a borrowed 4wd muir hill to do a bit of rolling... he had more wheel spin getting up on top than i did.... funny thing was we actually won a cup for the quality of the silage from the innoculant suppliers... quite suprised all the experts who said you had to have sort precision chop to make good silage... the fahr forage wagon with a 55hp leyland on the front only chopped to about 4 inches.

Just goes to show !

I live in Vermont, USA and every tractor around here has their tires "loaded". It's standard practice. The loading fluid is a combination of water and some kind of salt (we all call it chloride) to lower the freeze point down to near zero F.

Nope, not sodium chloride. It's calcium chloride. This url explains it:

http://www.gemplers.com/tech/liquid-ballast.htm

We have used water in the tyres in the past. Jack the tractor so the tyre is just on the ground and fill to level with the top of the metal centre. for antifreese calcium chloride powder dissolved in water used to be used, but nowadays just put a couple of 5 ltr cans of engine antifreeze in the water. the attachment to fill tyres used to come in the tool kit of Zetors. these screw onto the valve when the whole core is removed and have a small bleed pipe to let out the air. if you havent got one then use a hosepipe and periodically let out the air as you fill it.

Hi guys.
Back in the 60's I drove a fordson major with a 3 furrow hydraulic pough reclaiming rough steep fields. It entailed one way ploughing, and on the return trip the front of the tractor would bounce, (so much that independant brakes were used to control the steering ) which caused the plough to bounce on the back.
The tyres had been balasted with water, too much water, consequently the tyre casing failed through the walls. when the ploughs weight suddenly brought pressure on the tyres, an expensive time!
The extra weight on the axle had a dramatic affect on braking on the steep fields, the tread really dug in, instead of sliding.
Used salt in the water in those days, but have ordinary anti freeze in the zetor tyres now.
A sure but slow way to fill the tyres , is to turn the wheel until the valve is position at the top of the wheel and connect to a container with a hose, I use a domestic cold water tank which I can top up, positioned above the tractor wheel and let gravity do its work. Depending on the amount of water used, you may have to disconnect occassionaly to release air pressure.
Hope you find this usefull,
Regards,
Matt

What do ya'll think the pro's/cons are in putting water in the back tires?
best put liquid salt in with water keeps it from freezing, our tyre service engineers have a machine to pump water and sodium sulphate ito the tyre ,leting air out the same time ,you can get 800 lbs in each 14x28 rear wheel ,right where its needed

nothing,the tractor is in a shed at night and it was minus 15c this year and they never froze.you only fill 3/4 with water so if they did freeze there is room to expand.
[/ -- End of Quote -- ]

i would not risk it
[/ -- End of Quote -- ] ive seen tyres freeze in less than 7degrees below and the lump of ice slidind around and sending you on all sorts of journeys not needed,like running away even 4x4 tractors

Always put some sort of anti freeze in unless you live in the tropics, I have seen a tube totally ruined by quite a slight frost.

all of the loaders we fitted to zetors almost all the customers wanted the rear wheels filled with water and 20%antifreeze ...almost every zetor came with a valve to fill tyres with water in the tool kit it looked brass with a 19mm nut and female tread at one end and male on the other with a very small brass pipe soldered into it which had a plastic pipe on it which went into the tube via the valve then you just threaded the female end into where the valve goes and put a half inch hose onto the other and set it off filling ..we found if you let it fill till the air stops coming out of the little pipe that the tyre was 98% full ..with only a small space at the top for air ..if you only put 3/4 fill in them when you went down hill it had a sloshing motion like what tankers do when you brake so fuller the better just add more antifreeze if its really cold where you are

most of our tractors have calcium in the tires,I would not put antifreeze in the tires, if seen were a tractor was put in front of the cows and the cows chewed the valve stem of, if that was antifreeze ,you could have a bunch of dead cows,it tastes sweet and animals like it and it doesn,t take much to kill them. we are getting away from liquid in tires ,because of added cost to repair,it takes time to pump out the calcium and put it back, I like wheel waits beter

Just add normal engine anti- freeze to stop them from freezing.

You can pour it in with a jug and funnel and mix it the same as you would for the engine. It will also help to look after your rims with all that water rolling around if you are looking at having water in them for the long term.(If tubeless)

Turn the valve to ten-two (clock face) and pour it in, then add your water. You can buy the bits of kit to do the job from a normal tap and hose. They are not very big and not that expensive. They let the water in to your tyre and let the air out. MAKE SURE [/]the tyre is deflated first.

If you only half fill with water you will need to add some air to your tyres as well. It won't hurt adding air. We water ballest the front tyres for extra wieght when pulling a sub soiler.

You can empty them when ever you want just by taking the valve out, let them drain and then filling with air again.

Its a very cheep but very effective way of adding weight.:)

Your engine proformance will be effected a bit as it will be carring extra wieght. But It shouldn't be to noticeable. Plus you will get more tyre wear from the extra ballast but as long as you don't do long road trips with it they won't heat up that much so will be fine.

Jack

Calcium chloride powder dissolved in the water is the historically used product, but for UK a couple of 5ltr can of radiator antifreeze in each wheel is enough to stop it frezing hard in all but the very worst conditions

When my 6745 was delivered new it had water in both front and back tyres. There was a tool in the Zetor toolkit provided for putting water in. I used it a number of times.

So I saw this one from 2003 I didn't even have a computer in '03 . I have put water in a tyre on my Zetor , I had a Bomford hedgecutter and it was so heavy on the left side so for ballast on the right I put water in.
Easy let out the air take out the valve put on a tool that came with the tractor yoke on a hose turn on your tap jack up the wheel and wait wait a long long time for it to fill up, turn wheel so valve at top and top up with air put valve back in and your away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back