• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Valve adjustment

lspringeradelphianet

Level 2
First name
Popeye
Hello

What is the easiest way to adjust the valve tappets on my Zetor 6245. I've never done it on a dielsel. They've gotten quite noisy and are probbably way out of spec.

Is it possible to do with the engine ticking over, or would that cause an oily mess?

Thanks

:cool:

With running engine ?? you wont keep the spanner and screwdriver on it.

There is an official sequence for which i dont really care, too complicated to remember the sequences for 2, 3 and 4 cylinder.

I just pull the crank around by the fan belt (works only of you pull on the left side so the belt is pulled tight in the V) do it valve by valve, turn the engine till i see the valve closing again, then pull half a turn so i am sure its the fully closed position i'm looking at.

Hello

What is the easiest way to adjust the valve tappets on my Zetor 6245. I've never done it on a dielsel. They've gotten quite noisy and are probbably way out of spec.

Is it possible to do with the engine ticking over, or would that cause an oily mess?

Thanks

:cool:

Hi Popeye
Exactly the same as a 4cyl petrol engine.
Pistons 1&4 go up and down together and 2&3 go up and down together.
So when valves on cyl 1 are "TDC and rocking" you set the tappets on both valves on 4 and vicevisa. Ditto for cyl 2&3

You can set them running but i only resort to this method on engines that are hard to set like the Ford Kent engine As found in mk1&2 cortina

Hi Popeye
Exactly the same as a 4cyl petrol engine.
Pistons 1&4 go up and down together and 2&3 go up and down together.
So when valves on cyl 1 are "TDC and rocking" you set the tappets on both valves on 4 and vicevisa. Ditto for cyl 2&3

Ditto, this is how I set them too. Keeps turning the engine over to a minimum! I use a socket on the alternator pulley nut to turn it over, just watch you don't overtighten the nut ;)

Hello,

the workshop manual say:

4-cylinder
Wherein reciprocating movement of the rocker arm on a cylinder of the two valves, the game of the next cylinder is adjusted according to the following scheme and that for the four-cylinder engines:

Shift motion - is set the
1. cylinder - 4. cylinder
3. cylinder - 2. cylinder
4. cylinder - 1. cylinder
2. cylinder - 3. cylinder

The operating clearance of the inlet and outlet valve for the cold engine having a value of 0.25 mm + / - 0.05 mm determined.

Translate from german to english from http://zetor .oldtimer-schrauberfreunde.de/zetor-forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=267

Hi

where is the TDC mark that i can see on my 6245? I can't seem to find any position where a cylinder is TDC and valves are rocking.

thanks

found this

Reply #2 Posted at Mon Aug 21 22:06:18 2006
There is a scribe line on the left hand side of the square clutch inspection hole which lines up with marks on the flywheel that can be seen after removing the inspection cover.

Alan

will look there

All good. But if you cant find the mark it wont matter. If the valves are rocking that piston must be at tdc.
Being a low speed diesel there will be little or no valve overlap but if you turn the crank either direction one valve will open.
hence the term 'rocking'
Turning the crank forward will open the inlet valve and turning the crank backwards will open the exhaust valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back