• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

vacuum silage

barry

Level 2
First name
timberman
Hi Folks
how do you seal a pit of silage to vacuum?
I had builders plastic but the join let in some air.
Can you weld the join in the plastic sheet in place? Also how much suck do you need?
I was making silage from spare grass in the good season. The silage was ok because I used it fairly soon but the vacuuming didn't work to compact it.

Regards
Timberman

How do you mean pit silage ??

In Holland the most widely used system is heaped silage, driven to the heap with self loading wagons, or silage wagons loaded with a chopper.
In 99% of the cases, a layer of about 12 to 15 cm earth is put over it to seal it air tight. Some use old car tires as ballast, but the tires are giving more and more problems with environmentalists.

you need special "thick" sheets and "zip" seals;) and a vaccum slurry tanker;) put 1 sheet on ground dump silage on it, then fit top sheet. stick tanker hose in the end of the heap, then seal the 2 sheets together (leaving little hole for the hose) then suck out all the air and it will "crush" down the heap to about 25% of original hight. (but dont drive tractor on the heap) the sucking does that bit;) then seal the hole and leave to "cook" (it will be ready to feed in 48 hours:) ) A "pit" is not needed, just do it on flat surface;)

Yes I have been known to dabble I brought a black forest gateau to my girlfriend on her birthday.

wow now black forest not easy to make your lucky girlfriend i hope she was pleased and showed you how much

the next time your making one give me a shout and you see how happy i'd be

Like??? I bake a black forest and you will..... give me a drive on your tractor:):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back