• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Using the PTO

boxersoft

Level 2
First name
SteveR.
I've never needed to use a PTO before, but now I want to use a ferti spreader. I gather that I have to select the appropriate PTO speed (540RPM) using the lever, and then run the engine at the corresponding revs as marked on the tacho.

All well and good, but the speed on the tacho is about 2,000RPM, which is somewhat faster than I normally run it; it sounds like it's revving its nuts off! Apparently I'm supposed to proceed at about 4mph. I want to do about 26 acres, so the engine will be operating at this speed for quite a while at that rate. I'm a bit concerned that I might have misunderstood and might blow the engine or something...

By the way, 2,000RPM seems likely to give more than 4mph even in 1st gear. Is it normal to use the low transfer ratio when doing this sort of thing? (Tractor is a Z7341, and the ferti spreader is a Vicon 400).

Thanks for any advice.

to get the spreader to chuck the fertilizer you need 540 revs on the pto shaft .... use the hi low gear box to get the forward speed right.... you can use the 1000 pto setting with the engine just over half revs if theres enough engine power to keep the tractor moving comfortably... i would think 4mph is a bit slow 6 to 7 might be better... the instruction book for the spreader should have graphs for application rate at various forward speeds... sometimes theres stickers on the hopper with the info.

Thanks for that, very useful. I hadn't thought of using the 1000RPM setting at half engine speed, sounds like it might be a bit easier on the engine (and the ears!). Perhaps I'll give it a try without the spreader and see if it keeps moving nicely like that. It's a bit hilly here though, so maybe I'll have to go with 540/2000RPM anyway. Either way, it's useful to know that I hadn't misunderstood so thatnks very much for confirming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back