• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Ursus C355 - Brake problems - cannot bleed them?

foggy

Level 2
First name
Steve
I have recently refurbished the brakes on a Ursus C355..
Brake shoes were solid - Pivot pins seized
Wheel cylinder pistons solid ...rusty..
I Fitted:-
New wheel cylinders
New brake pipies
New Master cylinders
New equalizer across the two master cylinders.

I cannot seem to get any pressure on the brake pedals?...I have bled the left wheel cylinder first using its seperate pedal (disconnect the link to right pedal).... the air bubbles did stop and it started to get a reasonable pressure but still went full distance.
Locked the bleed screw tight ..proceded to bleed the right wheel cylinder...air came out but the pedal remained very soft ...?
Then connected both foot pedals together and tried to bleed the right wheel cylinder...still no real pressure on the pedal..?
The brake fluid is definitely going through and air seems to be clearing but the pedal is still soft?

I am lost what to try next.....air must be getting in somewhere? all connections seem dry? the only place i cannot check is the wheel cylinders..but they are new so should not be leaking and the oil does seem to be coming through the bleed valve so i dont think they are leaking?

Any ideas....am I bleeding them correctly....I never had such problems trying to get a hard brake pedal?

Also the hand brake linkage is connected to the right brake pedal..so when you press the individual right pedal or the combined pedals when linked lifts up...strange set up ...is this correct....should it not be independant to the foot brakes?

Thanks Steve

is there no pedal at all, goes to the bottom?
The handbrake has nothing to do whit the normal brakes on mine.
How old is it?

Thanks for the reply...
The Ursus C355 is a 1976 model...
We have managed to get a reasonable pressure on the pedals...we had to pump more vigorously to get the air out...so we do now have a foot brake...

The handbrake was linked to the footbrake pedal with a link under the foot plate..it would always activate the hanbrake with this link connected...? we have removed this link so the handbrake and foot brake are independant....
Maybe this link is optional for a trailor brake connection? Strange?

Steve

i would suspect that when the footbrakes stopped working some clever buxxer decided attaching the handbrakes to a foot pedal was a quick temporary workround.
and like most temporary workrounds it never got done properly.

ive just replaced the masters on a 4912 and am having trouble getting the fluid through, vigorous pumping on the pedal has got the right side doing summit, but still getting nowhere on the left.... i might drive it round a bit in the hopes the vibration of moving will shake the fluid about a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back