• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

news Some info on Motorpal CR systems tested on Zetor engines

I found this:

It is an interesting read, if you keep all aspects in mind. It says it tested the engine with just the main injection, at that condition the combustion noise will increase. (thats what the pre-injection is for: the Motorpal system has the capacity of three injections: pre, main and aft injections per cylinder stroke)

1694120069702.png

What we can learn from this basic research is: The American way (pushed by the EPA that initially banned SCR technology, carried out by John Deere, allmost bankrupting Navistar: EGR only) is useless. The FPT (Iveco, New Holland) way is best: Burn hot, for maximum efficiency, so hot that hardly any soot particles (PM) and unburnt hydrocarbons remain. And deal with the NoX in the SCR system... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
SCR is the way to go. I watched a YouTube video a couple of years ago that outlined the benefits of SCR over EGR (I looked for it, but cannot find it; if I find it, I'll post it).

I think as more stringent emissions are implemented that there won't be solely engines that rely on EGR or SCR. Newer engines will require both systems to meet the next tier of off-road emissions.

Deere and Caterpillar have been successful in their EGR pursuits, so far. In fact, Deere has had much an entire marketing campaign trumpeting its "single fluid system." However, the implementation of the Tier 4B (Tier 4 Final) US off-road diesel emissions has forced them to adopt SCR in addition to their EGR systems in order to meet the new NOx and PM limits. Yet, Deere still almost refuses to admit there pursuit of EGR was fruitless. They claim their new Tier 4 engines use less DEF than competitors. I do think they rely less on SCR to achieve the emissions limits than Agco and FPT.

I think as more stringent emissions are implemented that there won't be solely engines that rely on EGR or SCR. Newer engines will require both systems to meet the next tier of off-road emissions.

For yet to be implemented TIER 5 emissions one would need both: The legislators have found that SCR only engines, for example FPT which uses up to 5 injections per stroke, emit very few grammes of soot per Kw/h, yet the particles are so fine that the same grammes have a lot more particles, which can penetrate lungs much deeper than bigger ones, they say.

Nature is full of similar dust, so if you ask me, the legislative civil servants are creating job security for themself by inventing further legislation based on new ideas.... Another reason why i vote against the Ukraine deal in the Dutch referendum at april 6th, and why i hope Nigel Farrage will succeed in his campaign to get England to elect itself out of the EUSSR... But thats another story :D

Deere and Caterpillar have been successful in their EGR pursuits, so far. In fact, Deere has had much an entire marketing campaign trumpeting its "single fluid system."
Well, success.... They did get their engines homologated but thats all... I have worked with Deere TIER 3B OEM engines professionally, and i wouldnt call a clogged up VGT (meaning a 3000 euro rebuild) cracked EGR cooler, and a host of other EGR related engine failures that came standard within the first 3000hrs a success... As far as Caterpillar, there is a reason they withdrew from the on-road engine market... And they sell yellow painted FPT SCR-only engines as marine engines, for high power yachts. With 30% EGR it simply wasnt possible to push enough fresh air into a 6.7 liter engine to push 450hp for powerboats. FPT managed that just fine.

As for Cummins, Cummins didnt want to sell us a 6.7 liter engine for wheel loader application above 225hp, because the transient response time of the engine wasnt fast enough to be shuttling forward and reverse all day, and get the engine up to speed to get enough oil flow to lift the bucket when loading trucks, fast enough. Deere could guarantee that performance, yet only with two turbos, a valve in the exhaust to generate backpressure, and a valve in the intake. A very complex system, operating with exhaust gas with lots of soot in it (a direct effect of the incomplete, cold, low NoX burn) so very vulnerable.

They claim their new Tier 4 engines use less DEF than competitors. I do think they rely less on SCR to achieve the emissions limits than Agco and FPT.
That is correct, they use less DEF (or AdBlue in Europe) than FPT. But Sisu is doing pretty good in overall fluid consumption, using no DPF, but EGR, DOC and SCR.
Using EGR on an engine with clean combustion technology (higher NoX but little soot) is much more reliable because the EGR system doesnt make the engine eat its own shit all day.

Another difference between North America and Europe is that in Europe Diesel is 1.5 the price of DEF, and in North America DEF is 1.5 the price of Diesel. That gives a difference in outcome of the total fluid consumption equasion.

The original article you posted was talking about CR systems on the new Z1727 engine.

I did a bit of sleuthing and found that the same researcher at Mendel University in Brno also did some research on the shape of the combustion chamber in the new Z1605 engine. There is also mention of a Z1717 engine.

The research was presented at a conference in Bratislava. I cannot find anything on it other than this link.

The 1717 engine is of the Forterra 150HD, with electronic throttle on a mechanical pump, the VERMI system.

1727 engine will be the common rail engine, in Zetors annual report 2014 is written that research will continue on 150hp common rail engines and new transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back