• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

liquid ballast in tires

Netherlands Renze

Administrator
Staff member
First name
Renze

Machinery:
1976 5718
1978 5718 35kmh: Work in progress
1967 3011
What do you guys use ? a salt solution, anti freeze, and with tube, or tubeless ?

I use tap water and anti freeze and the tyres are tubeless

I don't see why you can do the same with tubes.

Where did you get the anti freeze ? to fill two 16.9R30's to 75% is about 500 liter.... which is at least 100 liter of anti freeze.... ?

I have 800 pounds of calcium in each 16.9-34 on my 6341 with tubes. There is a new material available now that will not eat up the rims.
George

I've heard calcium before, but is it like lime, you spread on the field ? Or is it calcium chlorate, as in kitchen salt ?

I remember using calcium back in the 70's to prevent freezing of water ballast, but cant remember what sort- the tyre company did it. I THINK it was lime calcium, not salt. Why not ask a tyre company?

I remember using calcium back in the 70's to prevent freezing of water ballast in tubed tyres, but cant remember what sort- the tyre company did it. I THINK it was lime calcium, not salt. Why not ask a tyre company?

calcium chloride I think. If I was doing it now I would check the new stuff that will not ruin the wheel if you get a leak.
George

If I was doing it now I would check the new stuff that will not ruin the wheel if you get a leak.
George
Whats the new stuff ?? I'm curious. Tire ballasting over here, was never as popular as in the States i think, so thats why i ask here, internationally ;)

Its calsium chloride. When doing mix pour calsium chloride in the water and mix, dont pour water in calsium chloride ;)

Tires filles 75% with mix. Mix scale is 0,42 kg CaCl / 1 litre water. Freezing point -47 degrees.

Thats the local recipe.

Glycol works fine too, you could maybe use old antifreeze from engines? If you buy new, buy it from big oil dealers in 200 litres barrel.

Oh. And special filling tool is needed. With that you get liquid in and air comes out at the same time. Here everybody lives liquid fillings for tyre company, especially it is big wheel loader or 42 inch rear wheel. You just drink coffee and watch when tire mounting man suffer :D Only problem is: dont go to same bar for evening beer where the mounting man visit ;)

I will try to find out the trade name of the non corrosive liquid. It is supposed to have about the same weight as calcium chloride.

I have tubes water ballasted on rear of 8540 never added any anti freeze just filled them off hose pipe. Coastal north devon uk very rarely freezes hard here; odd day of frozen water troughs but never hear tyres crunching. (Tractor used every day of year)

The non corrosive ballast is sold under the name Tire Guard here in Ohio, USA. It is BEET JUICE. Weighs 11pounds per gallon and is good to -35F. Here in the US they have been using beet juice on roads for snow/ice control. My tire guy said it is more expensive than calcium, but he is going to look into having it. We have one dealer here locally that keeps it (NH dealer). I will check on price compared to calcium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back