• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Big Bale silage Which tractor?

mattscimmy

Level 2
First name
Mattscimmy
Hi Guys and Gals,
New to the forum so quick intro for anyone interested.
I have 50 acres in Derbyshire, rolling rather than hilly.
Currently I'm using a 4911 with Quicke 2030 loader. Its a super little tractor for mucking out sheds, with it's tight turning circle. I have also been using it for bringing in and stacking round bale hay and straw, which it does easily now I have fixed the hydraulics and fitted power steering. Thanks to the forum.
I have a 990DB which I use for mowing/muck spreading, anything which needs a bit more grunt than the 4911.

Question

This coming season I am going to make about 150 bales of silage and I need a tractor with FEL capable of stacking/loading these.

I was thinking maybe 5945/6945.
But then which is stronger, the 2 or 4 wheel drive axle?

I have a budget of about 3,500 pounds plus whatever I can get for the 990, so maybe 5000.

I don't need a lot of horse power for what I do, just more size/ strength I think!?.

Your help very much appreciated on this.

Thanks
Matt

The 4wd axle with planetary reductions is wheel loader rated... Nothing like it on the market in that class of tractor back then.
The light axle of the 5245 would carry the same loads but the final drives dont like mucking out with the 4wd engaged.

I use a 7245 as my hay tractor, it handles 6' x 4' rounds easily on the loader with nothing on the back, so if you're making 4x4 baleage or even 5x4, it would handle it with ease I think. I would look at a 7745 turbo though, my 7245 wants for more HP making 6 foot bales or running the discbine. I would also look for one with fully hydrostatic steering, the power assisted steering is dismal doing loader work in tight spots.

And ditto with what Renze says about the axles, they are virtually indestructable, as long as you maintain the correct oil level in the final drives.

Thanks for that chaps.

I looked at a 5245, but that is too low powered, good to know even that axle will take the loads though.

I also looked at the 7245, but I haven't seen one in good order for less than 7000pounds, and are they significantly better than the 5945 which can be had for half the price?.

Bearing in mind your comments, I'm thinking 6945.
Same physical size as 59 but more grunt.

All these models use the same front axle, yes?

I get contractors to do the actual baling so only need the HP to do what the DB has been doing. Although I might look at getting a bigger mower and muck spreader in the future if I had the HP to drive them.

So what about loaders;

Anything unsuitable?,
The Alo 2030 on the 4911 will lift 700kg max, do the hydraulics on the 6945 run at higher pressure? could this loader be persuaded to lift a tonne reliably. I'm assuming that's about the weight of the bales I made this year as the 4911 will barely raise them off the ground on the rear spike, and the front end of the 990 heads skywards.

Can you approximate the loaders lifting capacity from ram diameter and tractor hydraulic pressure.
Probably need a base figure for the loader to take account of ram angles, yes?

I saw a post somewhere about bracing to rear axle for heavy loader work, if anyone has more info on best way of doing this that would be much appreciated too.

Thanks again.
Matt

The 9 series was sold for only two years because of two technical reasons and one commercial:

The 9 series got bigger valves and an extra coolant passage in the head. However they also put on a lower capacity radiator with fine mazes. The same as on a 5245 which lead to overheating. If you buy one i'd order a new radiator from www.ibeno.cz and you'll never have problems again.

Also the clutch: somehow either the elevated cab with long mechanical clutch lever couldnt stand "riding" the clutch or the new belleville spring wasnt strong enough, but they are sensitive for improper operation. (using it as a torque converter, instead of selecting the proper gear, release the clutch and let the engine do the work)

The 7245 has a free floating cab with suspended steering column, which greatly reduces the vibrations in your hands on long working days, and is more quiet. If you dont use it that intensive, the 9 series is good for you.

That's good to know Renze, never had any issues with the 4911 overheating, maybe bigger engines have more issues.

Just spotted a 6340 in my price range, seems too cheap 3,400 pounds with a loader.

Thoughts?
Matt

If its in good condition, hop in the car and take the money with you. You can leave your car there but drive the tractor home. :)

If its in good condition, hop in the car and take the money with you. You can leave your car there but drive the tractor home. :)

I am half way to fitting a Loader on my 6745, not sure what it will be able to lift yet but the front end of the later UR1's (ie 7 and 9 series) is indestructible so i guess bigger Dia rams will be a cure-all if it wont lift a tonne.
you should be able to pick up a 6745 for well under your price range........ mine will owe me a total of ~NZ$6000 after a front end rebuild and fitting the FEL.

The power steering is Lazy to say the least but ok if the spindle bearings are greased and you are moving (even at snail-pace), some gains to be had by upping the pressure on the relief valve, but be careful not to shim it so much it cannot open........ that's how i split my pump..... but the steering was light as a feather until i hit the lock-stop ;) ........ next time i will get a stronger spring and not use shims!

My old Ford 4000 2wd (non power Steer model) really struggles to move >700kg on the FEL Forks even with a 800kg tank or water on the tail lift

Hi Steve,

What loader are you fitting?
Let me know how you get on.

What's the spare part situation like in NZ for Zetors.
I've been looking on Trademe and seem to be quite a few Zetors in NZ for reasonable money.

Matt

Hi, pretty sure it is a Begg loader, but no tags, has been converted from Trip to crowd action in a previous life.
i picked it up from the local Tractor Wrecker in Palmerston North (Manawatu Tractor Dismantlers).
so far i have had no problem getting spare parts from wreckers and new parts i got direct from Beno (all be it took 3 months to get here ;)

Just got all the panel work back on the front after Galvanizing, not have fuel tank off for a freshen up..... and retrofitment of a fuel gauge :)

will get the rest of the loader on soon, so far just have the side frames on, but having trouble with the lower cross brace fouling the drive-shaft so need to modify a little (FEL came off a 5945, so would have expected it to just bolt up, but not quite the case ;)

(FEL came off a 5945, so would have expected it to just bolt up, but not quite the case ;)
I had the same problem fitting a 5245 loader to my 5718. I think the 9 series and later, had a slight difference in gearbox length as i had to drill new holes to fit the front when the axle bars were in place.

Interesting. I used the existing droppers on the rear axel as the FEL looked to be the same manafacturer as the old bull blade frame i removed. Did not have a problem with length. But had to elongate the front holes (closest to the front pulley) as the angle was wrong and could not lift the back up enough to get alignment

Maybe i need yo have a closer look at the droppers that came with the FEL. Currently the lower cross brace will not fit between the driveshaft and the engine sump. Might have to hang it under the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back