• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

7745 hard to steer

mtomlin

Level 2
First name
Matt
7745 is hard to steer. Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem or is this normal? Tractor turns fine while rolling, but standing still it is very difficult to turn. Tractor has a loader, but even with loader off it is still hard to turn.

Hi, i assume you've checked the oil !! It could have a pump problem or try pumping the tyres up a bit more. Alternatively you can fit a lighter spring in the ram, assuming you have the power asssisted type on your tractor.

Do you use gear oil in the powersteering ?

The powersteering needs ATF 2 fluid, like GM Dexron.
I have used 10w/30 multifarm in the steering and it made it very hard to turn. the type of oil makes a day and night difference for the steering.

Hmm... I've used both 10-30 multifarm and 10-40 Mobil diesel engine oil in my steering and it has always been very easy to steer, even on cold days. One finger on the wheel is enough!

When the oil level drops though it does get VERY stiff...

I was once told that using regulare motor or gear oil on the steering would damage the pump?? is it ok to use these oils on it?

I use a standard 32 hydraulic oil and does the job fine. I found gear oil and engine type oil made it stiff on power steering set ups in past.

7745 is hard to steer. Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem or is this normal? Tractor turns fine while rolling, but standing still it is very difficult to turn. Tractor has a loader, but even with loader off it is still hard to turn.

Hi,

I must say that I also have had this exact same problem ongoing for years now with my 7745. Have changed the power steering pump but no improvement. In my case it seems harder to steer to one side than the other, but neither direction is as good as it should be. Like you the problem is greatest at very slow ground speed like working in the yard or reversing back to connect to a rear mounted implement.
I find it really frustrating. The only fault on an otherwise brilliant tractor. Have had tractor back to Zetor dealer, but no improvement. Even considering trading in for a Massey, just because of this pesky problem. If you find a solution I would sure like to hear about it.

Paddy

Hi Paddy, Turning better one way can be adjusted by loosening the clamp at the back of the chrome piston and turning the piston slightly one way or the opposite way. Jack up tractor first, only move al ittle at a time and adjust with engine stopped. Then start up and try it. If the steering wheel spins on its own try turning piston the other way.
Regards Mike

I am going to change the fluid and use the dextron II hope this helps thanks for the help

i'm having a similar prob on my 6045, i have checked the hyd pressure on the system(i would recomend as a good start)
press is ok. i would like to know how you are getting on with it now?

Mike,

You are the man!!!!!!!! Followed your directions on adjusting steering.. A couple of turns on shaft brought it from locking completely right to right on track. i can acually light cigarette without knocking down a fence row or the barn!!!!

many thanks to all the great people with all the zetor knowledge my little brain can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back