• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

info GREEN opportunity for Zetor

treaney

Staff member
First name
TomZ
PROPOSAL: What about if Zetor was to put some resources into developing engines to run on bio-fuels? By thus I mean 100% bio-fuel. Many manufacturers are talking about it whereby their tractors will run on say a 20% bio-fuel mix.

I don't know what the emissions legislation is engines that run on bio-fuel - worst case we have to assume that it is the same as for ordinary diesel.

I imagine the older engines could be adapted at very little cost and would be far more tolerant of such a conversion than newer, more high tech engines.

What do you guys think?

If you ask me Tom it is a good idea. they already run busses on chip fat oill over here:D so what to say we cant run tractors. i think it's a great idea any way we can persuade zetor to give it a go.

p.s. easy for me dad owns a chip shop;)

I've run my 3320 on biodiesel before and am now converting it to run on straight vegetable oil (SVO). Beware of the cleaning properties of biodiesel - have replacement filters on hand as it will clean your fuel system and clog your filters for up to three filters.

I'm told older engines often had hoses that could weaken and even leak with biodiesel but this does not seem to be a problem with newer engines.

TBoy

The local dealer showed a Farmet rapeseed oil press at their spring show last year, and a Proxima 6441 running a dyno test on straight rapeseed oil, fresh from the press.

Oh, Tom, about high tech engines being less tolerant on fuel quality: A Zetor (Motorpal) mechanical inline injector pump has no trouble with whatever kind of fuel available. It is the common rail systems that are a pain in the #rse with biodiesel.

exactly like it did on normal diesel. The exhaust fumes just smelled a bit like a frying pan when the engine was cold, i think to remember.

You have really got me thinking now :D

I have 4 hectacres of good land that I can dedicate to oilseed rape. Is it an ecconomic proposition for me to grow 4 hectacres and produce bio-diesel I wonder? I would have to buy a processing unit like the Farmet unit Renze mentioned.

Does anyone know how much oil (ltres) you get from pressing a hectacre of rape? The cake thats left is a good fodder for cattle I believe.

I'd also like to use it in my oil powered central heating system.

Road diesel is 99 cent per litre Tractor diesel is 52 cent per litre.

We did try that too last summer. 14245, 7745 and 6245 did run fine with biodiesel. First problem we did noticed at october, when 6245 didnt start at morning. We were changed to winter quality fuel allready, but i didnt change fuel filters after bio dielsel :(

At the moment here is -35 degrees cold, and we need soon arctic quality fuel if tempereture drops to -40...... Rape seed oil in barrel is like huge candle at the moment, and bio diesel fuels dont work either ;)

Anyway, nobody with full brain capacity wont do tractor works at the moment, but there is some jobs that are needed to do, like feeding cows etch....

Did you produce your biodiesel from oilseed rape?

Did you need any special equipment to plant or reap it?

How did you extract the oil?

-35 degrees - degress Centigrade????? Holy Cow and then some. My blood would coagulate like your biodiesel! In Ireland, we think it's artic if it is -2 or - 3 Centigrade.

I remember askin a company about a kit to use rapeseed in my mf 65. thay asked for my postcode??? and said i was very close to the coast which is true. the reason being this is the oil would get thick in the tank. thay wanted to accecpt m fuel tank and fit a tank heater which is like a kettle element:sneaky: they also said once the engine was up and running warm the heat of the engine would warm the tank as it is an over engine tank;) so i stuck to diesel. because i dont want the cold weather starting problem.

P.s. rapeseed does go thick i should know dad owns a chippy. and we leave the waste oputside in cans it goes like glue???

Matthew

I was aware of the oil going thick problem. That can be overcome as you have said with heaters.

What type of oil does you dad use for the chip shop?

Hi tomz
the oil dad uses in the chip shop is

blocks of palm oil which comes in a solid block and goes back to a block in no time.

and cans of rapeseed. which dont go to thick in cold whether but they will thicken slightly.

Tom,

I did buy the bio diesel, didnt made it myself. It was just a test how it does work. It was real 100% bio diesel, made chemically from cold compressed rape seed oil. It works lots of better than cold compressed vegetable oil without further treatments. Actually it works fine down to -17 degrees but no further. If you made it from palm oil it works fine down to -15 or something. Only cold compressed "raw vegetable" oil woks with heaters and dual fuel system (at starting you use mineral based diesel and when engine is warm you change to vegetable oil) down to -5 degrees.

It is true that tractors like old mf:s or Zts with fuel tank on engine you can easily use vegetable oil in cold weather,but it means you must drive 16 hour a day then. I use my MF 165 for feeding cows everyday and each time takes about 15 minutes, so it wont get warm at all.... And its getting cold starts every day.....
At the moment its engine is so worn out it hardly can keep its oil preussure at summer, and it hardly can run at 1000 revs at winters. I think one winter more and i must send it to tractors cemetery :(

BTW, in some german calculations were studied about using vegetable oils (produced at fields) for traffic. The result was that technical problems can be solved, but........ If peoples want eat too in future, oil plants can be produced only at very little part of totally field area. It means in practice that only farming tractors can be used with rape seed oil, otherwice there is no enough field for food producting :sneaky:

But at the moment, (we get 110 euros/1000kg of barley (it is high at the moment) and farming diesel is 0.6640 eur/litre (it is low at the moment)), it is economically reasonable to grow rape and compress oil for heating purposes. Here heating oil is allways needed, and we need lots of oil every year for drying grain, because humidity when grain is harvested can be even 25 % sometimes.

why scrap your 165 re do the engine i hate to see tractors go to scrap yards:mad: thats where i buy most of my ones from to restore;) you can easily get engine parts for a 165 for the small and big engine. so plz dont let another one go to scrap.:)

Looking at older threads on the Motorpal and came across this thread. I have a 7211 I purchased this last spring and it runs fine on %50 fryer grease and %50 furnace oil. %100 is a nice goal, but no modifications seem to be required at half, such as heating the oil. Fair weather use only.

When you say "fryer grease" - do you mean WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) that has been filtered, lye and methanol and washed?

"Furnace oil" is home heating diesel aka Heavy Fuel Oil???

I have been running about 20%WVO (filtered only) with tractor diesel in my 7745. Summertime only though. I'm sure there is probably some reason that you need to go through the washing steps, but at this low mixture, it seems to be working OK. I do not recommend using it in a tractor that you are not using on a regular basis though. I had tried it in a old dumptruck that we hardly ever used, and it caused lots of problems.

Nowadays we get 20% biodiesel mixed in, as a governmental rule in all Diesel.

Problem is that algae grow in biodiesel, which leads to a lot of problems with Common Rail injection systems. Chemicals are sold to keep the bacteria down.

Waste vegatable oil and donated #2 fuel oil to answer the previous question. I settled and ran my fuel thru a milk strainer before use. It will "wetstack" if left idling for to long. Several companies on th web sell kits for running pure WVO and claim the oil needs to be heated to 160'F for the nozzles to work correctly. I feel at half it can limp a little until warm and the heat fom the cyl.head can heat the fuel that is in the injector.

When the local tavern and church festivals can't keep up with WVO, I switch to WMO in the mix. With this tinkering on this and several other Diesels I own I have gone thru my fair share of filters, but have not had a pump issue in about the 4 years I have been dong this.
I wish farming was more profitable so I didn't feel like I needed to screw around like this.

been running mine on 50% mis fuel (ie when people put petrol into a diesel car and the opposite.) 50% waste vegetable oil filtered to 5 micron .

I mix filter tte wvo into the misfuel give it a big stir and leave for a week the petrol makes any water and suspended nasties go to the bottom of the barrel and I take the good stuff from the top.

I also run my mercedes sprinter 2.9 5 cylinder on a similar blend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back