• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Biogas?

treaney

Staff member
First name
TomZ
Hi Folks,

I visited a pig plant outside Berlin last week. Pig slurry from 2,000 pigs is mixed with maize silage as the feedstock for Biogas. 500KW electrical output! Send me an email tomreaney at eircom.net if you want me to email you stuff.

Do any of the Zetorworld members operate or work with Biogas? I'd be real interested to hear of your experiences.

A Biogas plant is in Farming Simulator 2011 so it must be topical.

I bet my 8011 will run sweetly on Biogas ;)

TomZ

Here in Vermont, USA, a number of farmers convert cow manure into electricity and sell it to the power company. The utility company markets the electricity as "Cow Power", which consumers can buy at a slightly higher rate. It's very popular with environmentalists that are opposed to fossil fuel or nuclear fuel plants.

The process is done by extracting methane from manure slurry and then using the methane to power internal combustion generators. The manure is then compressed, dried and turned into bedding for the cattle.

The biggest problem is the high capital investment for the farmers to get started. The do get help from the power company from the 'higher rate' charged consumers, but farmers still have a huge investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back